GlasGrid Asphalt Reinforcement System
The GlasGrid® Pavement Reinforcement System is composed of fiberglass strands coated with an elastomeric polymer and formed into a grid structure. Each strand has a remarkably high tensile strength and high modulus of elasticity; this is particularly important as asphalt concrete typically cracks at low strains.
When the GlasGrid System is sandwiched between the leveling course and the surface course in an asphalt overlay, it becomes the hidden strength in the road, turning vertical crack stresses horizontally to effectively dissipate them.
Easily Installed, Durable in Any Climate
The GlasGrid System can be easily installed without specialized equipment or labor. With its pressure-activated adhesive coating on the underside, it’s also one of the fastest interlayer systems installed; up to 25,000 square yards of grid can be placed in one day with a standard laydown unit. Installation readily adapts to local weather conditions or unique construction requirements.
The GlasGrid System is durable as well, effective in a wide range of geographical areas and climates – from desert environments to near-arctic conditions.
Smooth Landings on Airport Pavement Structures
The GlasGrid System has been successfully used on more than 100 airport projects, including full width and spot repairs, for more than two decades. It has been particularly effective on airport runways, taxiways and aprons where transverse thermal cracking or PCC joint cracking is prevalent on the asphalt overlay pavement surface.
Key benefits for airport pavement structures include:
- Extension of pavement design life
- Reduced maintenance, with longer maintenance intervals
- Lower cost pavements – When overall life cycle costs are considered, the GlasGrid System can save up to 30% on the total cost of an airport pavement rehabilitation
- Thinner pavements – Airport overlays reinforced with the GlasGrid System retard reflective cracking as well as an unreinforced overlay up to twice as thick
Fully Millable and Recyclable
Unlike other interlayer systems, the GlasGrid System is easily broken up by conventional milling equipment and reusable in other road projects as recycled asphalt pavement (RAP). Its main component is silica, a natural substance that is environmentally friendly.
GlasGrid® TF (Tack Film): the All-in-One Pavement Interlayer
Conventional tack coats have their benefits but present their own set of familiar challenges:
- Uniform coverage is difficult to achieve using standard application methods
- Curing time is dependent upon weather conditions, which in turn affects construction schedules
- Tack materials can be readily tracked onto clean pavement surfaces
The GlasGrid® TF (Tack Film) System provides all the benefits of GlasGrid product, but without the challenges of having to apply a conventional tack coat. With a pre-installed layer of polymer tack film, GlasGrid TF performs like the original GlasGrid System, protecting against reflective cracking while it bonds to asphalt overlays.
Convenient installation is just one of its many benefits. Laboratory beam testing indicates that GlasGrid TF delivers five times the fatigue performance of an unreinforced asphalt section, resulting in longer life for asphalt overlays. With no tack coat emulsion to prepare and apply, owners and installers save on time, labor and material costs, increasing productivity. The elimination of a conventional tack coat also reduces VOC emissions from construction.
The tack film, which requires no curing, inhibits grid movement during paving operations. This enables road construction trucks to drive over the grid with less potential for damage, and it allows immediate installation of hot mix overlays. And like all GlasGrid products, GlasGrid TF is easy to handle and unroll. Installation is simplified with its pressure-activated adhesive, and it’s fully millable and recyclable at the end of its service life.
GlasGrid® CG (Compogrid) System: Pavement Reinforcement with a Moisture Barrier
For road construction projects that require a moisture barrier, Tensar offers the GlasGrid® CG (Compogrid) System. Incorporating a lightweight, polypropylene fabric on the back of the main grid component, GlasGrid CG provides additional pavement protection on both new construction and pavement rehabilitation projects.
Mirafi MPG and MPG4
TenCate Mirafi® MPG and MPG4 are glass filament reinforced paving composites comprised of fiberglass filament yarn incorporated into a nonwoven polypropylene paving fabric. This composite or reinforced paving fabric combines the excellent reinforcing properties of glass filaments with optimum liquid asphalt retention capacity of a mechanically bonded AASHTO nonwoven paving fabric.
TenCate Mirafi® MPG and MPG4 are the solution for pavement engineers. Asphalt reinforcement by high-modulus glass filaments, combined with the sealing and uniform bonding effect of the nonwoven geotextile, provides effective maintenance and prolongs the working life of road structure.
TenCate Mirafi® MPG and MPG4 glass filament reinforced paving composite systems functions for:
- Stress Relief
- Adhesive Bonding
The Difference TenCate Mirafi® MPG glass filament reinforced paving composite system makes
- Reinforcement: High load-properties at low strain (<3%) appropriate for heavy loaded pavements.
- Cost Effectiveness: Suitable for full width overlay, local patch and joint repair.
- Sealing: Rain and oxygen cannot penetrate into the road structure.
- Longevity: Maintenance intervals are considerably extended.
- Stress Relief: Retards crack propagation from the old surface to the new overlay.
- Adhesive Bonding: Provides uniform bonding between old and new asphalt layers.
- Installation: Easily included in asphalt resurfacing projects.
- Recycling: Can be milled with conventional milling machines
- Resistance: Chemically resistant to road salt.
- Roadway/Railway Construction
- Parking lots
- Golf car paths
- Airport runways
- Mobile home parks
- Shopping centers
- Industrial parks
TenCate Mirafi® MPG and MPG4 glass filament reinforced paving composites…geosynthetics that make a difference.